What permits are required to build, rebuild or remodel a house?

Construction or alteration of any residence requires a building permit from the Building Division. Other permit requirements may also apply. In areas without public sewer, sewage disposal system permits are required from the Environmental Health Division. For properties along City roads, an encroachment permit may be required from Planning and Development Services. Other local, state or federal permit requirements may also apply.

Special requirements may apply to rebuilding or altering structures which do not conform to the development standards or allowed uses of the zone classification. More information on nonconforming structures can be found elsewhere on this page.

For more information about which permits may apply, please contact Planning and Development Services at 559-846-9386 or visit our office at:
850 S Madera Avenue
Kerman, CA 93630

Show All Answers

1. What is an assessor’s parcel number?
2. What is a zoning classification?
3. What development does zoning allow?
4. What is a land use designation?
5. What are building setbacks?
6. What is the minimum parcel size?
7. What permits are required to build, rebuild or remodel a house?
8. Can I place a manufactured home on my property?
9. Are second dwelling units allowed on a property?
10. How tall can a fence be built?
11. Can I remove trees from a property?
12. Are there any easements that affect a property?
13. What is a nonconforming structure or use?
14. If an old structure burns down, can it be rebuilt?
15. Can a house be remodeled if it does not meet the required setbacks?
16. Can a parcel be subdivided?
17. What is the basic process for getting a building permit?
18. What is the basic process for getting a planning permit?
19. What are typical fees for planning permit?
20. How do I get help applying for a planning permit?
21. What is the difference between a principally permitted use and a conditionally permitted use?
22. What is the process for annexing a parcel into a City?
23. Does the County enforce covenants, conditions, or restrictions in subdivisions?
24. What Should I do before I dig?